Monday, April 6, 2009

Talk to the belly.

Most mornings, we'll hear Lily on the monitor when she wakes up.... usually a little singing, some one-way conversation with her best stuffy buddies or favorite clicky dolls and a decision about who's coming with her downstairs. Mr. Blanks always makes the cut.

She bounces down one stair at a time until she finally appears in our room--- we'll pretend to be asleep--- and taps my arm, often saying "Hey! You guys aren't sleeeeeping!" On non-grumpy days, she'll climb in between us and we all say our good mornings. This includes a good morning to Jack. She'll lift up my shirt to see the "biiiiiiiig belly" (thanks, Lil) and put her mouth right over my belly button:

(21 weeks)

"Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! How are you doing today? How do you feel? Can you kick?"

She'll sit up, put her hand in the spot where her mouth was and wait until getting frustrated and deciding to try again.

"Jack!! Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! You're a baby. You're in mommy's belly. I can't see you. What do you look like? I don't know because I can't see you. Where are you? Come out, Jack!"

We'll remind her that he needs some more time to grow and she seems to understand. With a reminder to be gentle, she'll rub her hands over my belly and smile. I *so* hope that she'll eventually really be able to feel a kick.

"I love him. Jack. He's our baby. I will teach him how to talk. And eat. And give him a bottle. I will teach him how to walk. I'm BIG! I'm a big sister!"

Love her.

No comments: